Skip to main content

Today Was Traumatic


​Dear Sam,


Today was traumatic.


Not because it’s the first week of summer and all six kids are home.


Not because it’s the first of the month and all the bills are due.


No.


Today was traumatic because I finally addressed the email problem I’ve been avoiding for over a year.


For reasons I cannot fully explain, I convinced myself fixing my email would require a degree in computer science, a trip to a phone store, and possibly a priesthood blessing or an exorcism.


So naturally, I ignored it for twelve months.


Today I faced my fears.

It was every bit as awful as I imagined.


I fought Microsoft.
Then Outlook.
Then Outlook.com.
Then Microsoft 365.
Then GoDaddy.
Then something called a passkey.
Then Microsoft Authenticator.
Then verification codes.
Then verification codes to verify the verification codes.


At one point I was being asked to approve an app that required access to an account that I couldn’t access because I needed the app.


I briefly considered living the rest of my life without email.


My battery dropped from 29% to 7%.


My will to live followed closely behind.


Three hours later, a QR code, a laptop, a passkey, an authenticator app, and a mild spiritual experience later…


IT WORKS.


I HAVE EMAIL.


ON MY PHONE.


Like some kind of technological pioneer crossing the Oregon Trail.


I feel I deserve a parade.


Or at minimum a bath, a pint of ice cream, and several people telling me how brave I am.


Part of me wants to celebrate.


Part of me feels like I need therapy.


But mostly I wish you were here so I could hand you my phone and say,


“Fix it.”


And then watch you spend three hours figuring it out while I ate ice cream.


Anyway, the email works. 


I won.


Barely.


Love,
Your exhausted but technologically victorious wife

Ps. Email me!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cause of Death

  Babe!   What the heck?!   I picked up your Autopsy and Toxicology  report yesterday.    Cardiovascular disease?? Myocardial fibrosis?? Pulmonary edema???   How is that real? How does that equal this: How does this make sense? We get this report 👆saying your  biological age is 11.7 years younger than your calendar age and then 10 days later you are gone?! The only time I ever heard you mention something about your heart was a week before you died !  We talked about the surprising blood results concerning your heart and I asked you if you felt any of it.   You said: "No" with a mouthful of spinach. You admitted your heart hurt recently because we were fighting.  "Being distant from you has been really hard on me." You said.  "My heart hurt a lot." I thought you were being dramatic! 🙄🤯🥰. You said you were sure the next round of blood results in July would be better because we were better.   The only red flag w...

Passenger Seat

​Babe!   We have another driver!  I have mixed feelings about it. As with every new Hobi driver, no matter how good (or bad) they are behind the wheel, I fear for my life when I’m locked in the passenger seat. I try my best to be supportive and patient but I’m not a good copilot!  

Color

​    When I paint I am restored to a peaceful perspective on what is important in life and everything slows down and is calm. Also, when I paint, the kids don’t bother me. I think it’s because I do it in the main living room and they like being in the same room as me. They just hang out and enjoy the moment of mom sitting still and not talking to anybody. I recorded every painting session and found it interesting that I loved using the bright colors but the best parts of the time laps happen when I use black.  I hated using color number 22 and 24 because they were BLACK but I loved how it made the color pop in the video.  It’s true in life, our dark moments enhance our life and in a weird way actually make the color in our days brighter.  I took a break from painting because I didn’t want to complete the painting in one week. (I was booking it!") It sat untouched for over a week and I was in a funk that entire week.  Yesterday, I was so tired of being grump...