Skip to main content

Between heaven and earth


​I’m starting to realize that the reality I experience every day is real… but only real through my mortal body.  

My exhaustion, grief, fear, stress, loneliness, distractions, and responsibilities all feel incredibly real because I experience them physically and emotionally here on earth.  

But deep down, I don’t think this temporary reality is my truest reality.  

My truest reality is spiritual. Eternal.  This is where Sam is now, but I am only catching glimpses of it.

 — usually when I slow down enough to hear God above the noise of survival mode. 

The strange thing is that my default state requires no effort.  

Fear is automatic.  

Distraction is automatic.  

Survival mode is automatic.  

Living only through my physical senses is automatic.  

But stepping into spiritual awareness takes intention.  

It takes stillness.  

Prayer.  

Surrender.  

Faith.  

Trust.  

Obedience.  

It takes work to disconnect from the constant demands of mortal life long enough to remember who I actually am.  

Sometimes it feels like this earthly experience is a veil or a fog that keeps me heavily focused on temporary things while eternal things quietly wait underneath it all. 

Not fake… but incomplete.  

For example: Sam’s death is the end of our marriage.  Our family is now without him. 

That is incomplete. When I believe only that, grief is heavy.

If, instead a spiritual shift happens, everything changes for a moment.  

My problems don’t necessarily disappear, but they lose some of their power because I remember this world is not the full story.  

My body lives here temporarily.  

But my soul was made for something eternal.

Sam is part of that plan.  Our marriage is not over. Our family is still functioning as a whole.

His death was part of that plan.

And now, my daily experience is still part of that plan and everything depends on which reality I am choosing to focus on.

I think the work of mortality may simply be this:

Learning how to live on earth without forgetting heaven.

Sam’s death is showing me a reality I didn’t know existed.  

When he died, part of me went with him somehow.  

And now I feel like I’m learning to live with one foot in each world—

living between heaven and earth. 😇






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cause of Death

  Babe!   What the heck?!   I picked up your Autopsy and Toxicology  report yesterday.    Cardiovascular disease?? Myocardial fibrosis?? Pulmonary edema???   How is that real? How does that equal this: How does this make sense? We get this report 👆saying your  biological age is 11.7 years younger than your calendar age and then 10 days later you are gone?! The only time I ever heard you mention something about your heart was a week before you died !  We talked about the surprising blood results concerning your heart and I asked you if you felt any of it.   You said: "No" with a mouthful of spinach. You admitted your heart hurt recently because we were fighting.  "Being distant from you has been really hard on me." You said.  "My heart hurt a lot." I thought you were being dramatic! 🙄🤯🥰. You said you were sure the next round of blood results in July would be better because we were better.   The only red flag w...

Passenger Seat

​Babe!   We have another driver!  I have mixed feelings about it. As with every new Hobi driver, no matter how good (or bad) they are behind the wheel, I fear for my life when I’m locked in the passenger seat. I try my best to be supportive and patient but I’m not a good copilot!  

Color

​    When I paint I am restored to a peaceful perspective on what is important in life and everything slows down and is calm. Also, when I paint, the kids don’t bother me. I think it’s because I do it in the main living room and they like being in the same room as me. They just hang out and enjoy the moment of mom sitting still and not talking to anybody. I recorded every painting session and found it interesting that I loved using the bright colors but the best parts of the time laps happen when I use black.  I hated using color number 22 and 24 because they were BLACK but I loved how it made the color pop in the video.  It’s true in life, our dark moments enhance our life and in a weird way actually make the color in our days brighter.  I took a break from painting because I didn’t want to complete the painting in one week. (I was booking it!") It sat untouched for over a week and I was in a funk that entire week.  Yesterday, I was so tired of being grump...